Pam's Camino de Santiago.

Psalm 84: 5 - 7.

Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baka, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Preparing to Go





                         
                                                                                It is only July--well almost!  My trip is some 4 months away!  So far I have viewed the inspirational 2011 video, The Way, staring Martin Sheen, only a dollar to watch at the  Amazon site.  It seems a really good overview for anyone interested in doing the walk, and I understand it has increased the number of Americans on the Camino de Santiago.  I have also started adding to my practical knowledge of the camino by reading blogs of others who have walked it before, and have bought and borrowed recommended books I thought might be useful.  In addition, I have downloaded some helpful information from the Web, and done some research on possible places to stay along the way. I am really amazed at how much is out there!
  
Edward Mullins's old 1974 classic, The Pilgrimage to Santiago, has provided me an eloquent and substantial history of the pilgrimage route, as he himself traveled from Paris to Santiago. His prose is a sheer joy to read and is filled with detail not found anywhere else.  This has proved good background reading for me as I continue to prepare for this adventure.

I am planning on taking both my LG smartphone and my small Samsung tablet, but was disappointed that Denis Houde's  Camino Frances, downloadable from Amazon, is too buggy to use and keeps freezing both android devices.  Instead, I have download and photocopied the pages that I will need from other guidebooks as I will only be using a small portion of the information in them.







I have also been taking stock of what I have, what I will need, and have been preparing accordingly.  After sorting through all of my shoes and boots, I broke down and bought a pair of low, lightweight hiking boots as they were on sale at Sierra Trading Post, a great resource for the type of clothing I will need, along with an extremely  lightweight rain jacket as I understand the Galician coast can be like Oregon.  The climate is said to be mild with frequent precipitation.  Walking sticks have been suggested, as the terrain will be varied, and I spotted a small collapsible walking stick on Amazon.  I considered taking my ski poles, but this proved an inexpensive, better length of pole for me, and nicely compact. 


I have checked out quite a number of English and French language websites, online forums and blogs for information. One online traveler recommended taking clothes in 3's--one to wear, one to change into, and one to wash, so that is my plan.  That means 3 socks, 3 underwear, 3 pants, 3 shirts, etc.  I also very much appreciated the suggestions posted by an Irishwoman who, among other things, wisely recommended keeping the day pack under 14 lbs, so that is my aim as well.  Apparently many people take way more than they need, and the added weight is a hindrance to walking.


I considered a traveling companion, asked two friends, and even considered posting online, but am not too worried about this.  Apparently many travelers do the Camino solo, and the Sarria to Santiago portion is so well-traveled that it is almost impossible to  travel this portion of the voyage alone.


Physically I am still doing PT for the rotator cuff surgery I had in early May, so haven't been doing much walking, even though I could.  Somehow the pain in my right shoulder doesn't encourage seeking more of the same. I still go to the gym 3 times a week for a 20 minute recumbent bike and glider workout.  It is my intention to start walking in earnest, including longer walks with my dogs, as the time grows closer.  


Since I will be initially flying into Paris, I could start my practice journey there like Edward Mullins did, starting at what remains of the church Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie, that lonely remnant of a tower near Les Halles, but rather doubt it.  Maybe I'll go look at the plaque there again. I could, conceivably, walk from my apartment, but won't get a sello for that, a "sello" being the stamp that marks the special pilgrim's "passport" for visiting designated sites and rest stops along the Camino. 






  "Since the 10th century millions of pilgrims of all nationalities have left this place, where  the church Saint-Jacques de la Boucherie once stood, for the tomb of Saint James the apostle.
   To commemorate their memory, Mr. Albert Chavanac, President of the Municipal Council of Paris, inaugurates this plaque on June 13, 1965, given to the city of Paris on the iniative of the League of Friends of the Way of Saint James in Spain."

No comments:

Post a Comment