Pam's Camino de Santiago.

Psalm 84: 5 - 7.

Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baka, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

The credential

Today I sent off to the American Pilgrims on the Camino for my credential.  I could have waited until I got to Sarria, but thought it might be nice to have it in hand before I left.  They have an application form that can simply be filled out online and sent to them up to 3 months before actually leaving.

http://www.americanpilgrims.com/camino/credential_req.html

The credencial, which I mentioned in an earlier post, known also as the 'pilgrim's passport', is a small cardboard booklet that pilgrims carry throughout their walk on the Camino de Santiago . The credencial is stamped along the way, usually at the hostel (or albergue) stayed in, and acts as proof that the person has actually walked the Camino. It also serves as a nice souvenir because it can record the albergues or places stayed in, cafes, churches and other sites visited along the way. For those completing an entire Camino de Santiago route, they will only need to get one stamp (or sello) per day, however, those starting their walk in Galicia, like me, will need to get their credencial stamped twice daily.

Once a pilgrim has reached Santiago de Compostela, he or she turns in the completed Credencial del Pelegrino, and is then awarded a  'compostela', the certificate proving that they have walked the Camino de Santiago. It serves as a diploma that the Catholic Church issues to award those who have walked the pilgrim route, having completed at least the last 100 km on foot or 200 km on bicycle.



Medieval pilgrims, on the other hand, were required to make confession and take communion in order to have their pilgrimage recognized with what was known as an "autentica", or official church document. They often traveled with a letter of commendation from their local priest, signifying they had already confessed and were traveling with the right spirit as a bona-fide pilgrim.

With the passage of time, the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela became one of three major pilgrimages on which a plenary indulgence, or a complete remission of temporal punishment for sins, could be earned.  Later such indulgences were also made available those who couldn't go on a pilgrimage or crusade, but who offered cash contributions to the effort instead, a practice which lead to many abuses, and was much decried by Martin Luther during the Protestant Reformation.



The other good news is that my phone is now unlocked!  No hassle from T-Mobile--they just asked me for my phone's EMEI information and emailed me back the unlock code and instructions.  Now I'll be able to take my LG phone with me and use it with a Spanish SIM card!

  
I also just downloaded a nifty navigation software for android to my Samsung Tablet for free, called Navigator, which works off-line! After adding the Spain maps, I noticed that it has Camino routes available, so it looks like I won't need to use the GPS after all!

And because of a couple of unseasonaly cool days, I have already been able to practice walking in Rock Creek Regional Park with my two dogs on the Lake Frank and Meadowside trails . . . 2 miles the first time, 3.5 miles the second time . . .

 http://www.montgomeryparks.org/PPSD/ParkTrails/trails_MAPS/trailmap_pdfs/lakefrank_trails.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment