Pam's Camino de Santiago.

Psalm 84: 5 - 7.

Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baka, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Day 4: Ventas de Naron to Palas de Rei



I think I was the last person out of the auberge this morning! It proved to be another misty morning in the Galician countryside, passing through a Ligonde, Eirexe, A Calzada and Alta Rosario before finally ending up in Palas de Rei. 





more menhirs
For a short passage in Ligonde, the Camino became a narrow rocky path and a walking stick became almost indispensible. Ligonde was apparently a significant stop on the medieval pilgrimage route and Charlemagne and other royal personages stayed here.

 
Charlemagne stayed here


note camino bike route sign






The mist seemed to increase at times throughout the morning, making visibility difficult.






I decided to forgo the detour at Calzada to see the 13th century church/monastery of San Salvador at Vilar de Donas once donated to the Knights of Santiago, as it meant 5 kilometres of extra walking off the pilgrim route. If I had a few more days to spare I would have prolonged my camino a little longer, as there is much to see and enjoy here.








I have been very blessed with good weather so far, although I feared a fine precipitation for a few minutes because of the heavy mist. Along the way several travelers left messages for separated companions,  and I wondered if the ever linked up with each other ...







note the tiniest droplets on this spider's web







At Alta Rosario I tried to get a glimpse of Santiago's sacred peak, but it was somewhat hazy and difficult to see today. Apparently the area is takes it's name from the  early pilgrims reciting the rosary upon seeing the sight.


 When I finally arrived at Palas de Rei I was horrified to learn that the albergue I had reserved was some 8 km further along the Camino at Carballal. I quickly changed my plans and decided to opt for what I consider the 5 star one where I stopped to ask directions near the  church of San Tirso. The church itself retains only the doorway of the original 11th century romanesque building, but it's locaton is high up with a great view of the city below.




















No comments:

Post a Comment