Pam's Camino de Santiago.

Psalm 84: 5 - 7.

Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baka, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 9 : Santiago de Compostela to Paris




Well here's the blog sans photos--my micro SD card is full!  I left early in the morning, intending to take a cab, but the women at front desk convinced me the the airport bus, at EUR 3, was a better deal, and was within walking distance.  I made it to the Praza de Galicia (a rather large circle or round-about) only having to ask for directions once, and managed to spot the bus as it arrived. This was  fortunate because the bus stop location wasn't clearly indicated on my map!


I did take one photo of an airport restaurant where I had breakfast and wished I had discovered when I originally arrived in Santiago.  It never occurred to me to check out the departures lounge. When waiting for the bus to take me to Lugo, and then to Sarria, I had lunch in an Italian cafe...


 The fact that this is a pulperia is a give-away that this is a Galician place serving octopus. . .





After checking in, I returned to check-in because this time I was unable to carry on my walking stick.  I had no trouble carrying on a tiny Swiss folding knife with scissors, but a collapsible cane is apparently a no-no, even if it was inside my backpack.

Inside the gate area there were a few interesting shops and places to eat--a good thing because I was early and my flight was delayed a half hour.  And since Vueling Airlines is a low-cost, pay individually for everything airline, I decided to have lunch at the airport where the food had the potential of being better.

The 2-hour flight was uneventful--I managed miraculously to have an aisle seat--until my arrival in Charles de Gaulle.  Apparently the plane had managed to take off without the cargo--so no walking stick!  I have dutifully filled out the required paperwork, but feel it could have been a lot worse.  Even if I lose it, my total losses (except for  the EUR 22 that I wasted on a Spanish SIM card) probably only include 2 pair of errant underwear and an stray earring.  One poor Belgian couple that I had accompanied into Santiago yesterday found out, 7 days into their Camino, that their house had been broken into and their safe and valuables taken.  Although it wouldn't cover everything, they did have insurance, so they decided to deal with it on their return since this trip had been planned for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment